About

I'm Andrea, and this is my personal blog. Thanks for being here! I usually post on Fridays and Sundays, when I share something that makes me happy or a spiritual thought for the week. Sometimes I manage to squeeze in another post or two.

Feel free to leave a comment--I'd love to hear what you have to say! You can also reach me at teachmetowalk [at] hotmail [dot] com.

Scrollin' Buttons

Friday, May 3, 2013

So, about that sourdough...

Erm...yes. About that.

Heh heh.

Okay, here's the thing. I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I'd made sourdough bread. I had made one loaf, and that turned out okay...kind of. I figured that there was nowhere to go but up, and that my future sourdough loaves would get progressively better.

And then the universe said, "BAHAHAHA, not so fast."

Between then and now, here's how the sourdough thing has gone. (And it was a months-long struggle to begin with, thankyouverymuch.)

  • I tried two other bread recipes. Each batch turned out more doorstop-like than the last. I considered starting a brick-making business.
  • The sourdough experts say to do easier recipes, like muffins and pancakes, before trying to make bread. Fine. So I made muffins, and they were shockingly soft and delicious.
  • You're totally drooling right now.

  • A third bread recipe rose properly, and looked nice and pretty, but man was it sour.
Deceptively innocent looking.
  • And then, I checked on my sourdough starter and saw...*gulp*...that it was moldy. Mold = sourdough death. I poured all of it down the drain. And I cried a little. And I did everything possible to not touch the mold left in the jar. [By the way, please donate to the Moldophobics of America Fund. Mold-o-phobia is a serious and debilitating condition.]
Annnnd...that was last night. I'm not sure where to go from here, sourdough-wise. I'm still a little bit in shock. It seems silly to give up on a project that I've been working on for months. Hrm. We'll see.
So maybe you'll hear more about sourdough from me one day. Or...maybe you'll hear more about my brick-and-doorstop business. Only time will tell.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, man!! I'm sorry. Talk to Myrnie? She is out resident sourdough guru...

    ReplyDelete

Please, chime in!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...