About

I'm Andrea, and this is my personal blog. Thanks for being here! I usually post on Fridays and Sundays, when I share something that makes me happy or a spiritual thought for the week. Sometimes I manage to squeeze in another post or two.

Feel free to leave a comment--I'd love to hear what you have to say! You can also reach me at teachmetowalk [at] hotmail [dot] com.

Scrollin' Buttons

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Easy Thanksgiving Recipe: Cranberry Sauce

[I know this is last-minute, but I was cooking up some of this stuff just now and I thought...I really should share this recipe.]

 

 Is that what your family's cranberry sauce is going to look like tomorrow? Really?

I have to admit, I kinda like the canned stuff. But did you know that making cranberry sauce [y'know, with real cranberries] is simple? In fact, I first found this recipe in Real Simple magazine. See what I did there? Haha.

Anyway, I made this cranberry sauce last year for Thanksgiving, and I'm probably going to make it every Thanksgiving for the rest of my life. It tastes that much better. (Unless you really don't like cranberries at all. In that case, I can't help ya.) You can check out the original cranberry sauce recipe if you want. I've changed it just a little bit, so here's the really simple cranberry sauce I'm making this year:

Homemade Cranberry Sauce
(heavily based on a recipe from Real Simple
1 package cranberries (I think the standard-size package is 12 oz or so.) 
1 cup apple juice 
1/3 cup sugar 
1/4 cup (heaping) brown sugar 


Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Simmer, stirring frequently, until almost all of the cranberries have burst, and the sauce has thickened. (I usually make the sauce quite a bit thicker than what's pictured with the original recipe.) 


Taste and add more sugar if needed--some cranberries are kickier than others. Also, keep an eye on how vigorously those berries are simmering--if it gets to a full-out boil, you'll be wiping up cranberry splatters.

 Really and truly--all you have to do is measure, dump, and stir. That's it. Oh, and eat. And then do a little happy dance because you've freed your family from canned cranberry sauce forever. {sauce photo credit}

3 comments:

  1. Mmmmm. YUM. When I was about 9, my family found a recipe in the newspaper for "Native American Style" cranberry sauce. I have no delusions that it's authentic at all, but the recipe called for cranberries...and real maple syrup. That was it. And now, 20 years later, it's still our recipe.

    It's a shame that people have FORGOTTEN how easy cranberry sauce is!!!! (Granted, my sister found a can of the Red Brick stuff in her pantry, and is bringing it along tomorrow. For old times sake. ;-))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very similar to my cranberry sauce recipe! I'll have to try yours next time, I'm a big fan of homemade cranberries now that I know how easy they are!

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM! I loooove cranberries. Thanks for sharing this. I've never made cranberry sauce before, but if I do, I'll have to hit up this recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Please, chime in!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...