About

I'm Andrea, and this is my personal blog. Thanks for being here! I usually post on Fridays and Sundays, when I share something that makes me happy or a spiritual thought for the week. Sometimes I manage to squeeze in another post or two.

Feel free to leave a comment--I'd love to hear what you have to say! You can also reach me at teachmetowalk [at] hotmail [dot] com.

Scrollin' Buttons

Blog Archive

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Learning Time: Stories

The very last thing we do for "learning time" is read a pile of picture books.  This is the part of learning time that takes the most time--and it should, because it's the most important.

I've spent a lot of time thinking about this post, and about how to explain why reading aloud is so important.  I finally gave up and decided to just recommend this book:

Click on the picture to go to Amazon (I'm not an Amazon affiliate or anything...I just like the book).  The Read-Aloud Handbook is full--FULL--of research on why reading aloud is important for your child's growth.  There's more to it than you think.  This book includes info on everything from television, to library funding, to Harry Potter phenomenon--and the effect they have on your child.  In the back of the book, there's a huge annotated list of good books for reading aloud.  (This is the author's website, if you want to visit it, but I really recommend the book.)

Read it.  No, really.  Read it.  Your local library should have it; it's pretty popular.

And that's how "learning time" goes at our house.  Thanks for playing along!  Next time: back to our regularly scheduled programming.

6 comments:

  1. I always thought Dr Suess books were good reading out loud books because the words were so silly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always thought Dr Suess books were good reading out loud books because the words sounded so silly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally loved reading through your "learning time" series!! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can honestly say I am who I am today because of my grandmother and my parents reading aloud to me when I was little. And yes, Dr. Seuss was a big part of that.

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  5. some of my favorite memories are of reading aloud to the kids...and my husband taking over with the last two so he wouldn't miss out...

    SO GREAT, keep it up. You are a wonderful mom.

    ReplyDelete

Please, chime in!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...